Getting hurt on the job can ruin your day or your life. But getting workers' comp can be confusing, especially if your injuries are severe.

Start a Paper Trail

If you are hurt at work, make sure you inform your supervisor. It's best to use email so that there's a record of the date, time, and any responses. You also want to tell someone in your HR department so they can send you relevant paperwork.

You will, of course, need to see a doctor. You usually need to get a second opinion from a doctor approved by your company. Make sure your doctor knows this is a workers' comp case so they can document your injuries and treatment carefully. Get copies of all your medical records, test results, and diagnostics.

You'll also want to make a personal record of your injuries. Start a journal and take pictures of your injuries as you heal. Make sure you document your pain levels, pay you've missed, and any emotional distress you feel.

Get physical copies of everything. Purchase a file and organize emails, insurance claims, bills, and medical records in chronological order. This is your "evidence file."

Get the Most Out of Your Consultation

It's important to see an attorney who specializes in workers' compensation. Navigating relevant laws and ever-changing company policies requires particular training and experience.

Try to schedule two or three consultations. It's important to find the right fit for your case. Consultations are usually free, so you are only out your time.

Bring your evidence file to your consultation. This will help your prospective attorney judge your case more accurately. They may also be able to give you useful feedback on building your case.  

When you are sitting down in your consult, there are a few questions you'll need to ask:

  • Have you won a case like mine?
  • Are you the attorney I will personally work with? (If not, ask to meet that person.)
  • How "solid" is my case?
  • How do you or your firm handle fees? Are there payment plans, etc?

After you find the right attorney for your case, continue updating your journal and your file. Any lingering pain or disability can change the outcome of your settlement.

You deserve a fair workers' compensation. Hiring an attorney who specializes in cases like yours can make all the difference in getting the money you deserve and helping you get better. Contact a firm like Ransom, Gilbertson, Martin & Ratliff, L.L.P to get started.